August 4, 2016 / 5:25 pm

Unfortunately the glass ceiling is still alive and well, even though it has become a little higher over time. One thing I've noticed is that it is worst in areas (and regions) where people don't want to acknowledge it. Pretending everything is equal makes it more prevelant than acknowledging the biases built into or system. Society used to support men being the primary earners and women really only working as a supplemental/secondary income. Even though in most cases women are no longer just working to supplement their families and choose to work even after becoming mothers, the system hasn't always evolved as quickly as our roles in society. My least favorite argument is that women shouldn't earn as much as men (or be promoted as often) because they will need to take maternity leave or need time for their children (I've heard this argument from women!!). As someone who isn't planning to have children any time soon (potentially EVER) I think this is the craziest most naive reasoning I've ever heard. It's sad to me that something like the glass ceiling is even considered a controversial topic, that to me just proves that there is so much need for education on sociology and biases built into society. Thanks for a great conversation sparking, thought provoking post girl!

2. Ashley Vickney
    August 4, 2016 / 6:21 pm

I completely relate to this. I recently went on an interview where they told me that since I was "pretty" I would do well in the role. Which in my opinion should have nothing to do with my skills. I've hit it quite a bit, and marrying into a family of all boys sometimes my fiancé's own mother says things to me without realizing. I'm so happy that my parents showed me I could do anything I wanted. While I'm in a predominantly female industry, there are still more executives who are male. I'm hoping that by being open and encouraging females around me instead of competing with them. This was an amazing post, thank you for sharing!xoxo

3. hashtagfablife.com
    August 4, 2016 / 8:22 pm

Love hearing about your experience! It's hard to believe the comments about wearing skirts and dresses is still a thing in 2016! Love the idea of supporting women run businesses! I'm so excited for Jenny's launch!HashtagFabLife

August 4, 2016 / 8:25 pm

love love love this post! My parents always told me I could do anything I wanted as well and never tried to restrict me and I am so thankful for that. I am also thankful for you for being so supportive of me and my endeavors. I couldn't do it without ya. xoxo, Jenny

5. Sharon Wu of Style Lullaby
    August 4, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Wow, this is a great post! Thanks for sharing, it's so empowering! xo, sharonwww.stylelullaby.com

6. Michelle Mink
    August 5, 2016 / 6:08 am

Yes supporting our women friends in business is very important! I love that your using your influence for positive change.

7. angelintheoutfield
    August 6, 2016 / 3:47 am

Yes, girl, yes! I am all for chipping away at the glass ceiling by supporting my fellow girl bosses! I truly believe we as women have the power to make a huge difference for our future generations. I hope with all my heart that there will be a generation of girls that grow up to live in a world without the suffocating burden of a glass ceiling one day. We just need to keep fighting for that day to come. xx Merisa | Monogrammed Magnolias

8. Candice Nikeia
    August 7, 2016 / 11:50 pm

Good for you to be brave and write this post! Thanks for be honest and being yourself. I hope you write more like this!xoxo, Candicehttp://www.candicenikeia.com

9. Sherry Howley
    August 8, 2016 / 5:17 pm

Loved reading your story and your viewpoint. Sadly, this is still relevant today but hopefully this will be something of the past sooner rather than later. All we can do is support one another and try and break down barriers.