2. Jewel tones are ideal.  ||  The hot pink top that I wore was fun, but for my next headshot, I’ll be wearing a jewel tone.  They’re universally flattering and add to that professional appearance we’re working for.

3.  Be cautious with patterns.  ||  Patterns can appear totally different in a photo than they do in person.  If you’re curious about how a pattern will appear in a photo, take a photo in said piece of clothing.  If the top looks nice, stick with it; If the pattern gives you a migraine after staring at it for three seconds, it’s probably not the best pick.

4. This is not the time to experiment.  ||  Contouring your makeup for the first time before having your headshots taken is probably not the best idea.  Box dyeing your hair the night before having your headshot taken is also probably not a good idea.  Put effort in your appearance, but look like yourself.  I usually straighten my hair because I know what the end result will be and put on just a little more makeup than I would on a normal day.  (PS – If you’re really concerned about how you are going to look, know that most headshots that are professionally taken end up photo shopped.  Check out my forehead in my photo – my chicken pox scar magically disappeared!)

5. Stick with classic jewelry.  ||  The sorority hall that I lived on was decorated with composites, and my friends and I used to always play a game of trying to figure out what year someone’s photo had been taken by looking at their jewelry.  (The early 2000’s were a rough time.)  Avoid super trendy jewelry, and stick with the classics.

6. Look at past photos.  ||  If you’re a blogger, chances are you’ve got plenty of photos of yourself floating around.  Last night I looked through old posts to see what pieces photographed well, what pieces I should definitely avoid, when my hair looked the best, and when I should have probably thrown a lipstick away after shooting because it was just so terrible.

I hope that you found these tips to be helpful, and maybe even solve one of your “What do I wear?!” dilemmas!

If you have any suggestions for future topics, feel free to leave them in the comments or shoot me a message via the blogger contact form on the left side bar of my site!

Happy Thursday!

XX,

SS

PS –  Today is my infusion day, and I am going to be bored out of my mind!  I’d love to engage with y’all on twitter while I’m confined to my recliner.  My username is @seersuckersass 🙂

1. Nancy Laws
    September 10, 2015 / 3:50 pm

Dana, I love this post…something I never think about until the very last minute!

September 10, 2015 / 4:00 pm

Oh man, I haven't taken a professional headshot in years. I wore a really loud tribal print dress and it hurts my eyes to look at it. I might be taking one soon, though and I'll definitely wear a blazer! Thanks for the tips 🙂 Alessandra | blog.pumpup.com

3. Allison
    September 10, 2015 / 5:00 pm

I've never had professional head shots taken–crazy right?! I'm definitely keeping these tips in mind though!

4. Jordyn Upchurch
    September 10, 2015 / 5:55 pm

I've never had professional headshots taken (unless you count senior portraits!) but I know that I'll be having some done soon for the college of Ed at my school as well as when I become a teacher, so I'm bookmarking this page for the future! Thanks girl :)xoxo, SSThe Southern Stylista

5. Katie M
    September 10, 2015 / 7:31 pm

Love these tips!xoxo,Katiechicincarolina.blogspot.com

6. Shane Prather
    September 10, 2015 / 10:08 pm

You look beautiful! Love the advice 🙂

7. Brooke
    September 10, 2015 / 11:58 pm

Before any kind of head shots (professional or for theatre) I always, always look at others. It helps know what you want for yours and what you know works and what you know doesn't. Great advice!xoxoBrooke|LookBrooke

8. Nicole
    September 11, 2015 / 12:40 am

OMG no you look beautiful! I love your tips though, I've never taken headshot for work, but if I ever do…I'll come back here! Nicole // Chronicling Home

9. ELG
    September 11, 2015 / 2:04 am

You're right about jewel tones and prints! We film a lot at work and that's what we always advise people.

10. A Peachy Sonder
    September 11, 2015 / 2:10 am

You're cute in your pink! I think these are wonderful tips. I always opt for soft colors and pearls in my photos. xo.http://apeachysonder.blogspot.com

September 11, 2015 / 2:44 am

These are such great tips, to be honest my sorority composite photos always looked SO bad. I feel like I looked like such a dork. I haven't taken a professional headshot before but I think you're right about straying away from neon and leaning more toward jewel tones (though I think you're adorable in the featured photo). You have to share your junior league headshot when you get it back!

12. Steph Jenssen
    September 11, 2015 / 3:32 am

These are such phenomenal tips! When're I get pro photos done, I always stick for: navy, black, and or white. Those seem to be the most professional looking colors, but I still think that a small pop of color is good! I think that you look gorgeous in your headshot example! 🙂

13. Ashley
    September 11, 2015 / 3:47 am

This is perfect! As a teacher, we get head shots taken every year (think school head shots you had taken every year…), that are used for anything and everything. I definitely stress about what looks best and this is so helpful!xo Ashley

14. Southwestern Prepster
    September 11, 2015 / 4:12 am

This is such a great post, girl! Love the tips – these could be really helpful for people who have never had headshots done before! I especially love the tips on blazers and jewel tone tops!xx, MikkaelaThe Southwestern Prepster

September 11, 2015 / 4:17 am

These are such fabulous tips!This totally reminds me of my horror story with sorority composites…for some reason, one year the coloring in the photo was off and my hair came out looking really strange. Def not my fault because we had to wear those black drapes but reading this brought that to mind. hahaxoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

September 11, 2015 / 4:18 am

Such a great post! Definitely agree about jewel tones, they really are universally flattering!Courtney//As We Stumble Along

September 11, 2015 / 7:17 am

Love this post- such practical and important tips! My composite for ADPi came out WAY better this past year than my first year in the sorority…. probably because this year the didn't schedule the pictures for the morning after Formal!! ;-)xoxo Awww.southernbelleintraining.com

18. Lauren Ashley
    September 11, 2015 / 12:10 pm

I totally agree with all of these tips! LaurenThe Fashionista's Diary

19. Meghan @ Southern Belle Secrets
    September 11, 2015 / 1:23 pm

These are great tips!! I'm a huge believer in a blazer AND a top that has a classic neckline. Your photo won't look dated a year later if you wear a classic and/or conservative neckline. xoxo,MeghanSouthern Belle Secrets

20. ♥Renee @ •Getting Fit Fab•
    September 11, 2015 / 3:32 pm

I really love this post, it's perfect for young professionals to know what to wear and everything else. Great tips!

21. Alicia
    September 11, 2015 / 3:50 pm

These are really amazing tips! I really need to get professional headshots done for my LinkedIn and to attach to my work email, and this post helped a lot. I need to dust off my old blazers!xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

22. Diary of a Debutante
    September 11, 2015 / 4:33 pm

You definitely hit all the major no-no's! Awesome guide for new professionals.xo,StephanieDiary of a Debutantewww.thediaryofadebutante.com

23. Marie Huang
    September 14, 2015 / 3:51 pm

These are definitely some great tips! I will definitely keep these in mind when I am having a headshot taken. XOXO.Marie H. Progression By Design

24. Ally Gagliardo
    September 14, 2015 / 6:46 pm

Oh, this is a great post! I am constantly worrying about stuff like this! Such a great resource, and I'll definitely come back to it the next time I have headshots done!

25. Lexis Hope
    September 15, 2015 / 12:13 am

Great post! I have the same issue, when I don't know what to wear in a professional setting I kind of freak out. I've never really been in a setting yet where I have needed to dress professional. So this post was GREAT for me!xoxo Lex // LexMeetsWorld

September 15, 2015 / 10:18 am

Haha, you look so cute in that photo! I remember my first head shot was me laughing, I looked so weird!! Safe to say, I've learnt from that embarrassing photo xDPop over to my blog!Sarahhttps://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com

27. Caro @ The Caro Diaries
    September 15, 2015 / 2:51 pm

These are fantastic tips! I agree that just throwing on a blazer or wearing more muted or jewel tones can make you look 10 times more professional! BTW you look so great in your pic, so shush!