1. Kayla Rivoli
    August 5, 2015 / 5:16 pm

I honestly had no idea what Junior League was… I had to look it up after reading this post! Sounds super awesome. I'd definitely say I'm a mix of both shy and outgoing when it comes to meeting new people. It all depends on the environment I'm in and how old the people are. If I'm in a room with others who are my age, it's a lot easier for me to introduce myself and strike up a conversation. However, if the people are older than me I tend to become an introvert. Thanks for sharing a "hard stuff" story <3 XOXOKayla | kaylablogs.com

2. Caroline
    August 5, 2015 / 9:38 pm

Thanks for writing about this! I definitely understand your anxiety. I've had it since I was little too and it's always so hard to reach out to people. I'm so glad you're going to push yourself to sit by someone new! Hopefully this year I'll be able to push myself to meet more people too!

3. Nicole
    August 5, 2015 / 11:03 pm

Your posts are always so inspirational and beautifully written! I am interested in joining Junior League, but I'm terrified of going alone!! This post has encouraged me to go for it! Nicole

August 5, 2015 / 11:08 pm

I definitely have anxiety with making new friends. This definitely helped! Giving compliments is a great way to create a conversation.Mikayla | A Seersucker State of Mind.

5. Lexis Hope
    August 5, 2015 / 11:34 pm

I find that when you compliment someone it can open up a great conversation! I love that! Great post

August 6, 2015 / 12:40 am

I really enjoyed reading this post and feel like I can relate on so many levels. I have a really difficult time making friends (I am NOT outgoing, at all) so events like the meeting for junior league you referenced really overwhelm me. It's really inspiring that you are stepping outside of your comfort zone and pushing yourself to welcome new people. I love that!

August 6, 2015 / 1:25 am

I am just terrible at making new friends because I am really shy at first…but once I get over the shyness factor, I am a completely chatterbox. I'd love to join Junior League someday and continue to step out of my shell and meet new people.xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

August 6, 2015 / 2:00 am

First off- don't be too hard on yourself!! If you know that you can get anxiety in some situations, don't feel guilty or like a jerk for not reaching out in all situations. It's awesome that you're making it a goal to try more!Generally I am/was a very friendly and outgoing person, but in situations where I feel uncomfortable I shut-down quickly (aka all of high school). Throughout college I keep gaining more and more of my confidence back though!xoxo Awww.southernbelleintraining.com

9. ELG
    August 6, 2015 / 2:23 am

Those are such great tips. It can be so hard to walk into a room where you don't know anyone. Regardless of whether you're introverted or extroverted. I have been to countless networking events and I still get nervous. I do the same thing as you in a lot of ways. I've found that having a goal of learning about people's careers to see if they'd be a good fit for my career profile series is so helpful. Also compliments always work 🙂

10. Ashley Vickney
    August 6, 2015 / 2:41 am

I was the same way all the way through middle school! I still feel like that every once in awhile. Don't be too hard on yourself! I'm really shy at first, then I'm like really talkative! I've learned that I should start like that right away! These are great tips! Also what a brave post!xoxo

11. A Peachy Sonder
    August 6, 2015 / 2:41 am

I have absolutely felt this way! As a fellow introvert, I struggle with cracking my own shell in situations like this. I try to remember that you will never gain if you don't risk losing something (in this case your pride or comfort zone may be at risk). You never know if that new person with be your next best friend!Thanks for sharing!

12. Southwestern Prepster
    August 6, 2015 / 2:58 am

Thanks for writing this post – I definitely feel similar. Part of the way I describe myself is an extroverted introvert because I like talking to people, but oftentimes it's really hard to put yourself in position to take that first step. I've been working on it though! I've been pushing myself to actually tell someone the compliment I think in my head and it's helped a lot.xx, MikkaelaThe Southwestern Prepster

13. Lauren Ashley
    August 6, 2015 / 4:29 am

I have really bad anxiety too and it makes me feel rude sometimes because I do the same things but don't worry, we know you aren't a bitch! Make it up tomorrow and I'm sure those girls will be SO happy. I was always the girl alone or who had friends that I didn't really know too well. Even now it's hard for me to make good friends! LaurenThe Fashionista's Diary

14. Alexis Reliford
    August 6, 2015 / 5:59 am

Beautiful post. It's great that you opened up and branched outside of blogging about just positive things. As an introvert I can totally relate to this anxiety and moving to a new city soon is only about to make things worse. Great tips!xoxo Alexis @alexis-reliford.com

15. Jasmine Watts
    August 6, 2015 / 10:52 am

Well written post!! I also feel similar while making new friends. Great tips shared!!

16. Ashley @ Lilly & Lemons
    August 6, 2015 / 12:38 pm

This post definitely hits home! I get really nervous when I'm put in a situation where I don't know a lot of people, and one of my goals is to open up too.

17. Allison
    August 6, 2015 / 2:50 pm

I think more people are bad at making friends than we think! I mean its easy to make friends in Kindergarten, but when you're in your twenties–it's a lot harder!

18. Alicia
    August 6, 2015 / 2:55 pm

I've always been pretty outgoing, so I never knew what it was like to have anxiety about meeting new people and how challenging it could be to branch out. Thank you for this perspective!xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

19. Marie Huang
    August 6, 2015 / 7:09 pm

I think that first of all it is super great that you even realized that you were being an asshole. Because a lot of people aren't able to self reflect and realize that they were acting like one. Second of all, I love to do this at events as well. Even if I don't know anyone and feel like a weird loser lurking in a corner, I know that there are 100% other people feeling the same way that I do. So I always try to push past this feeling and reach out to someone! XOXOMarie H. Progression By Design

20. Erica Ligenza
    August 6, 2015 / 7:27 pm

I applaud you for realizing you messed up and for openly making a vow to do something different in similar future situations! MAJOR props to you, girlfriend. That's awesome.Coming Up Roses

21. Ashley Nicholas
    August 8, 2015 / 4:04 am

Such a great goal to make an effort to talk to people you don't know!! I really need to do the same thing AND control my incessant blabbering at parties haha (nervous talker lol)!

22. Ally Gagliardo
    August 8, 2015 / 1:50 pm

I have such terrible anxiety – and my readers don't really see that because I get to hide behind a computer screen! I definitely need to work on trying to make some friends this year!

August 9, 2015 / 12:17 pm

I totally understand where you're coming from! After years of taking books as my only friends and then having real friends who talk to me, I find it hard to communicate with new people. It's because my friends know how I am and are the chatty types, so don't mind if I just nod at them throughout a conversation! When I go out to places on my own, I have to be someone totally different or sometimes I get so anxious, I retreat and others think it's because I'm 'stuck-up' or being 'bitchy'. It's really not, I just can't be free with others so easily!Pop over to my blog!Sarahhttps://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com

24. Jordyn Brown
    August 12, 2015 / 12:06 am

I needed to read this, since I'm so much like you in that I have such a hard time making friends. It didn't make sense to me, because in high school and for the early part of my college career I had tons of friends-situational friends. Now I have to work harder, but it'll be worth it :)xoxo, SSThe Southern Stylista