Pencil Skirt:

Whenever I need a little confidence boost, I pull out a pencil skirt.  In my opinion, they’re sexy without trying to be.  (And they’re simple to style.  Throw on one of the button-up shirts from above and voila! You instantly look like you have your life together!)  I find most of my pencil skirts at Ann Taylor, J. Crew, and White House | Black Market.

Pixie Pants:

I live in pixie pants at work.  They’re pretty much like work appropriate leggings, and I find them to be even more comfortable than jeans!  I think that the way they crop right above the ankle gives them a nice little dainty touch.  I usually buy my pixie pants at J. Crew, Gap, and Old Navy.  (Just a warning, if you purchase from Old Navy, be super cautious about how you wash them.  I’ve shrunk up some adorable pairs from there.)

Fun Dresses:

I love wearing dresses to work because some days you just don’t want to wear pants.  (Also, it’s one piece so you don’t have to figure out if your shirt matches your skirt, if you need to tuck it in, etc.  I’m all about simplicity.)  I’m a big fan of printed wrap dresses, or throwing on a Lilly under a blazer.  My favorite places to find dresses are Lilly Pulitzer, J.Crew, LOFT, and White House | Black Market.

Blazers:

Blazers add such a nice touch of professionalism to any look, and they are a necessity for board meetings.  I pair them with everything, but my favorite ways to style them are over a funky dress or with a pair of pixie pants in the same color.  If you don’t have a blazer in your wardrobe, I suggest in investing in a black blazer and a navy blazer.  I usually pick up my blazers at J. Crew, and I’ve also had luck finding them at Macy’s in the Junior’s department!

I’m curious to know – What are your workplace staples?  What is your work environment like?

If you have any questions about work wear or any questions for me relating to career, feel free to shoot me an email or leave it in the comments!

Happy Monday, y’all 🙂

XX

SS

1. Southwestern Prepster
    July 20, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Ahh, all perfect picks! My Business Fraternity has a Business Casual/Business Professional dress code for some of our Chapter meetings and I love mixing it up with different pieces to spice it up a little! Having a few different types of blazers really makes a world of difference to your wardrobe!xx, MikkaelaThe Southwestern Prepster

2. A Peachy Sonder
    July 20, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Great choices! My job calls for business formal attire, but I rarely rock a full suit unless I have to. I'd rather wear dresses on most days, as well as skirts and pants with blouses. In addition to your stores that you listed, I find great pieces at Banana Republic!

3. Morgan Flinchum
    July 20, 2015 / 8:38 pm

I couldn't agree more with these work staples! I wear my pixie pants at least once a week with a colorful/patterned cami and a blazer over top. I love the color of the pants you posted. Might have to grab those!-MorganHow 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

4. Carley
    July 20, 2015 / 10:07 pm

These are great staples! I worked at J Crew for several years and got hooked on their Minnie pants. They are my go-to professional pants! They pair perfectly with Elsa tops, button downs, and blazers!Carley @ preppy lane

July 20, 2015 / 11:54 pm

These are all great staples! I love wearing button downs with jeans for a more casual look and pencil skirts just make me feel super professional.

July 21, 2015 / 12:03 am

I can't wait to see the rest of the posts in this series!! My summer retail job has a dress code, so I wear a lot of nicer sundresses, blazers/cardigans and nice pants to work in the summer! Great picks in this post. :-)xoxo Awww.southernbelleintraining.com

7. Stephanie Jenssen
    July 21, 2015 / 12:49 am

Your work wardrobe choices are gorgeous! I've always loved a nice button-down. Being self employed and working from home, my work wardrobe consists of palazzo pants and a sweater 🙂

8. ELG
    July 21, 2015 / 1:08 am

I love the outfits you chose. Blazers are such a must for the office AC!

July 21, 2015 / 1:28 am

Love pixie pants and pencil skirts.My go-to item is definitely a dress, flats, and a cardigan though.xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

10. Ally Gagliardo
    July 21, 2015 / 1:28 am

This is so great! I definitely needed this!

11. The Life You Love
    July 21, 2015 / 2:34 am

I totally agree with all of these. I really need to improve my business casual attire, so I'm excited to see some inspiration.

12. Alexandra Hollander
    July 21, 2015 / 3:01 am

I love these picks! I am in dire need of a pencil skirt and a good fitting blazerAlexandra | sincerely-alexandra.com

13. Lauren Ashley
    July 21, 2015 / 3:48 am

So this post just made me realize I need to buy more wardrobe staples! Love the pencil skirts you chose! LaurenThe Fashionista's Diary

14. Pick Your Beau
    July 21, 2015 / 7:28 am

I absolutely love wear to work fashion – a blazer is one of my absolutely favorite pieces. Also shift dresses (of the appropriate length) are always my best friend! So happy to hear you're enjoying the new job so far!!Pick Your Beau

15. Ashley
    July 21, 2015 / 7:30 am

Even as a teacher, I think all of these are wardrobe staples!!! These are pieces that are necessity in any working girls closet!xo Ashley

16. Jessica Grace
    July 21, 2015 / 8:38 am

I've always struggled with the whole smart/casual thing. Like, one category is hard enough for me… Seriously, haha. I love the pixie pants and I'm also in love with the pink and white pencil skirt you posted. It's beautiful!

17. Alex
    July 21, 2015 / 11:28 am

Blazers and pencil skirts have been my go-to! Once it gets cooler out I'm going to need to invest in a few more dress pants. Thanks for giving me store ideas because I didn't know where to find dress pants that were still going to be youthful, and not frumpy.-Alexwww.monstermisa.blogspot.com

18. Alicia
    July 21, 2015 / 1:41 pm

I need to bookmark this post for whenever I get a job with a strict dress code, haha! I've been lucky to work in pretty casual environments post-grad and surprisingly DC office dress codes are lax, but I think a blazer, a pencil skirt and a button down are essential for any office!xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

19. AforAlyce
    July 21, 2015 / 3:24 pm

I love all the pieces you've chosen for professional looks! I think it's really important to look professional and stylish at the same time. My staple must be a blazer! :DADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

20. Shian K
    July 21, 2015 / 3:55 pm

I think fun dresses are a really important addition to a work wardrobe, as you said. Even on days you just really AREN'T feeling it, hair in a bun and on the run, if you just throw on a pretty dress it's easy and you don't have to worry about pairing things together or if you like how the whole ensemble looks.Xoxo,Shian | The Fashion Investigator

21. Allison
    July 21, 2015 / 5:43 pm

Almost all of my dress that I wear to work are Lilly! They are the perfect mix of fun and classy

22. Ashley Nicholas
    July 22, 2015 / 3:01 am

I've been looking for a few new business fashion pieces, and this post helped me narrow down a few selections! Loving that pink skirt!

23. Amanda Cross
    July 22, 2015 / 4:35 pm

I have never actually worked at a full 9-5 job. When I was a student worker I tried not to come to work or class in like sweats. I usually wore nice jeans and a blouse or a dress because dresses are great for looking put together when you only want to put on one thing.

24. Erica Ligenza
    July 22, 2015 / 4:57 pm

Button-up shirts are my JAM all year round. I love rolling the sleeves up in warmer weather, but then layering things with flowier cardigans and sweather come fall!Coming Up Roses

July 22, 2015 / 5:32 pm

I love blazers as they make any outfit look professional. Also, I have a thing for striped tops/dresses/skirts xDPop over to my blogSarahhttps://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com

26. Jordyn Brown
    July 24, 2015 / 9:12 pm

I think my favorite work wardrobe staple would have to be a great pair of wide legged trouser pants! They really make me feel like I'm a boss and tucking in a crisp white button up with them really makes me feel the part :)xoxo, SSThe Southern Stylista