Sunscreen for your face & body – My skin is sensitive, so I’m not a big fan of using the same sunscreen on my face and body.  (I also like to use a higher SPF on my face because I’m so paranoid about wrinkles.)  For my body, I like to use a sunscreen spray.  I miss less spots that way!  Also, don’t forget to put sunscreen on the tops of  your hands, feet, and ears.  I typically use Banana Boat spray for my body and Clinique for my face.

Sun hatI think that sun hats are so chic!  I love that they shade my face from the sun, and I think they add a touch of glamour to any look.

Polarized glassesI can definitely tell a difference in my polarized and non-polarized sunglasses.  They reduce the glare and UV rays that you’re exposed to.

Lip products with SPFAside from the fact that sunburned lips are super painful, can you imagine having a cancerous mole removed from your actual lip?  The thought of it just sends chills up and down my spine.  Some high end makeup brands even offer lipsticks with SPF!

And last, but certainly not least, get your skin checked!  Even if you have no history of skin cancer or melanoma in your family, it doesn’t hurt to get an annual skin checkup with your dermatologist.

I hope this post will inspire you to protect your skin this summer!  If you have any questions for me, feel free to leave them in the comments or shoot me an email!  What are your summer skin care essentials?  Any products I need to know about?!

Happy Thursday, y’all!

XX,

SS

PS – If you haven’t already, would you like my Facebook page?  It would really make my Thursday 🙂

May 21, 2015 / 4:34 pm

I hate that people act like skin cancer is no big deal. I used to hit up the tanning bed with friends as a social activity and I finally realized how stupid and naive I was being. Now I am embracing my natural skin tone and layering on sunscreen. I wish I could take back my time in the tanning beds. Eek!

May 25, 2015 / 2:30 am

Girl, me too! They don't think that my melanoma was caused by tanning, but I still wish I could go back in time and never step foot in a tanning bed!

2. Marietta MarieNoel
    May 21, 2015 / 4:40 pm

I totally agree with your essentials. Definitely a must have

May 25, 2015 / 2:30 am

Thanks, love! Xo

3. Lauren Scorzafava
    May 21, 2015 / 5:09 pm

These are great! I'm doing a similar post next week with a giveaway! Be sure to check back in! ;)xxLauren Elizabeth Petite in Pearls

May 25, 2015 / 2:30 am

Eek, can't wait!! Xo

4. Tiffani
    May 21, 2015 / 5:59 pm

It wasn't until I saw my skin under a black light that I knew just what I was doing to my skin in a tanning bed! Thank God for all of the sunless tanners that cost way less than a tanning membership! These are all great must haves for summer!

May 25, 2015 / 2:31 am

Oh my goodness… I don't know what I would do if I saw my skin under a black light. Probably melt down! Do you have a favorite sunless tanner?

5. Stephanie Jenssen
    May 21, 2015 / 7:02 pm

This is such a great post! I've got super (duper) pale skin and I've almost given up on going out in the sun! I love that striped hat!xx | Steph @ http://www.thelovelyessentials.com

May 25, 2015 / 2:32 am

I'm at the point where I avoid it at all costs! Who says that super pale can't be super fabulous?! Thanks for stopping by! Xo

6. meandmr.com
    May 21, 2015 / 8:26 pm

Adding this to my summer checklist! Melanie @ meandmr.com

May 25, 2015 / 3:01 am

Aww, thanks love! Xo

May 21, 2015 / 9:24 pm

I love sunless tanning because I am very pale and it takes loads of sun to get a nice color and also because it's a lot safer. Love using lip products with an SPF and I too use a different sunscreen for my face and body.xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

May 25, 2015 / 3:02 am

Do you have a favorite sunless tanner or do you spray? I'd love to hear any recommendations you may have! Xo

8. Lauren Ashley
    May 21, 2015 / 9:44 pm

This is why I love you and your blog! This is so true and people really need to take care of their skin. Health over a nice tan! xoxoLauren Ashleywww.thefashionistasdiary.com

May 25, 2015 / 5:56 pm

You are so sweet! I always enjoy your thoughtful comments 🙂 I hope you're having an amazing Memorial Day weekend!! Xo

9. A Peachy Sonder
    May 21, 2015 / 10:20 pm

Great message and even better picks! I am very careful about sun exposure as I am very fair, and have family history of skin cancer. "Pale" is pretty too if you're taking care of yourself!Thanks for sharing!xo. A Peachy Sonder

May 25, 2015 / 5:57 pm

I agree! Pale is soooo pretty! Hope you're enjoying this long weekend! Xo

10. sano sanisimo
    May 22, 2015 / 12:34 am

Great post, and really good choices! I take a lot of care about this issue too!thanks for sharing!xx, Natali100% natural & homemade cosmetics => sano sanisimo

May 25, 2015 / 5:57 pm

You are soooo good to your skin! I wish that I had the talent that you have when it comes to making natural goodies! Xo

11. Kelly
    May 22, 2015 / 12:57 am

Thanks for the skin care reminder! I'm going to be in the sun a lot this weekend and have recently had a terrrrrrible sunburn. Like worst in my life!KellyOhio Stripes

May 25, 2015 / 5:59 pm

Glad you found it to be helpful! Oh no, sweet girl! Sunburns are the worst! Once you're healed up, I would definitely get that skin checked just for peace of mind! Hope you're feeling better (& less red) soon!!

12. Bash Harry
    May 22, 2015 / 2:26 am

Thank you so much for raising awareness for skin protection. I don't think people are more aware of the trouble of tanning. I love the sunglasses!xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

May 25, 2015 / 6:26 pm

Aww, thank you love! Hope you're having a great day! Xo

13. Makayla McAfee
    May 22, 2015 / 2:47 am

I completely agree… so many people I know have this mentality and need to take it more seriously! Thank you for posting all of this!Kay | Fashionably Kay

May 25, 2015 / 6:26 pm

You're so sweet! Thanks so much for stopping by, love! Xo

May 25, 2015 / 6:26 pm

Do you have a favorite product with SPF? 🙂 Xo

14. Alex
    May 22, 2015 / 11:27 am

I really should invest in a pair of polarized sunglasses since I spend so much time in the sun once summer arrives.0Alexwww.monstermisa.blogspot.com

May 25, 2015 / 6:49 pm

I have a pair of polarized Tory's, and I can definitely tell a difference! Hope you're enjoying the long weekend 🙂 Xo

May 22, 2015 / 2:50 pm

Skin care is so incredibly important! I've never understood the appeal of tanning beds. Love your tips here- especially a big fashionable hat. ;-)xoxo Awww.southernbelleintraining.com

May 25, 2015 / 6:51 pm

I used to work at a tanning salon… I don't even like to admit that! I know you love a big hat as much as I do 🙂 Happy Monday, love!!

16. Arely Munoz
    May 22, 2015 / 3:12 pm

Hi lovely, this is a great post!! I am all about sun protection , I use 60 sfp when at the beach and 40 everyday!! The clinique one is the best one!!Glamoury Armory Blog

May 25, 2015 / 6:51 pm

Aww, thank you! Isn't Clinique sunscreen amazing?! I bet you have such gorgeous and healthy skin 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!!

17. LuAnn Caprio
    May 22, 2015 / 6:42 pm

Thank you for the reminder regarding sun protection! I have personally experienced 3 episodes of basal cell carcinoma directly resulting from sunburns. The treatment, removal and aftermath certainly were not worth the sun bathing! From one preppy girl to another, a monogrammed sun hat and monogram sunglasses are perfect summer accessories! Check them out! I have them in every color and don't go out in the sun without them.

May 25, 2015 / 6:53 pm

Girl, I feel you on that! Sending lots of positive vibes and prayers your way that you won't have any more episodes! I love a good monogrammed hat 🙂 Thanks for sharing!! Xo

18. Kaitlin Serio
    May 23, 2015 / 3:33 am

Oooh that YSL lip color! Loving this post. I have a family history of skin cancer that resulted in death. Such an important read!Xxheapsofme.com

May 25, 2015 / 7:05 pm

Isn't it awesome that so many of the YSL lip colors offer SPF protection? (Did we really need another excuse to buy one?!) I am so sorry to hear that, love. Xo

May 24, 2015 / 9:42 am

I love moisturising creams and lipsticks with added SPF, it means I don't have to slather SPF cream on top!Pop over to my blog :)Sarahhttps://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com/

May 25, 2015 / 7:06 pm

Yes! If you can have glamour + SPF, why not take advantage of that? 😉 Xo

20. Rachel
    May 25, 2015 / 1:10 am

Love all your summer skin protection essentials! The YSL lipstick is my fav, isn't it awesome (& convenient) when your makeup already has SPF in it!? I used to love sitting outside and getting a tan, but I've been super conscious of my skin the last couple months!Xo, Rach | Seashells + Sparkles

May 25, 2015 / 7:07 pm

I'm about to order one for myself, because I don't think my current MAC lipstick has SPF! (And I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new lipstick 😉 ) Hope you're enjoying this long weekend 🙂 Xo

21. donna bailey
    May 26, 2015 / 11:49 am

Great selection. I need a new sun hat for the upcoming summer. And after your post maybe a YSL lipstick too 🙂 Regards,Rug cleaners Hammersmith