My boyfriend and I have been living in the same town since June 1. We moved to the town where I work – a 30 minute drive for me, and a 5 hour drive for him. And now that we are both finally feeling settled in our places, the discussion has come up that maybe we could get a dog together. I have been so hesitant and defiant about the whole thing. And then my co-worker shared a photo of this sweet baby onto my Facebook timeline, and it was all over.
Chris had been wanting a Lab or a hound, and it couldn’t seem any more perfect that this pup was the perfect mix of the two. He wasn’t available for adoption until a couple of weeks from the day the picture was posted. So we used that time to figure out the financials of the situation, discuss what changes would occur when we did get a dog, and what we would each be responsible for. Yesterday, we made the decision to go to the animal shelter and spend some time with Shadow. (She still can’t be adopted yet.) My boss shared in my excitement, and let me leave work 15 minutes early since the shelter closed at 5:30. A co-worker who is passionate about animal rescue and on the shelter’s board gave me a bag of dog treats and bed sheets to deliver when we went.
We got to the shelter at 4:55. When we went in, we were told to leave, because the shelter was closing in five minutes. When we asked if this was a permanent change or just a spur of the moment thing, we were told there were “unforeseenable” (great language) events happen, and they were closing early. We couldn’t look at dogs. We weren’t thanked for our treats. Their response was beyond rude, it was mean. And my heart broke, because if they treated people like that, I couldn’t imagine how the animals were treated.
So I went home and did my research. As someone who is employed by a company who receives city funding, I know that there has to be transparency. I found out online exactly how much money they get from the city (a disgusting amount), how much goes to salary (over three fourths of it), and that they have gotten in trouble for failure to record payments and donations.
So, we face the dilemma of where to go from here. Do we go back to the sketchy animal shelter and attempt to rescue Shadow for a second time? Do we go to a different animal shelter? Do we go to a breeder?
We’re going to Cincinnati this weekend for the boyfriend’s grandpa’s birthday (I am meeting the extended fam!!), so we hope to have our game plan in action by Monday.
Here’s my favorite part of every blog post – hearing from y’all! What kind of dog do you have? What is your fur baby like? Did you go the rescue or breeder route?
Hope that y’all are having a happy Wednesday! We’re halfway to the weekend!!